Friday, July 4, 2008

Traveling the backroads of France!

Bon jour!!

I just returned from a 3 week trip to the French countryside, with the final 4 days spent in Paris. Oh my!! I LOVE France!!

I was quite intimidated in preparing for this trip, since I didn't speak the lanuage and I had heard that the French people could be cold and aloof. And you know, the French are so stylish and so...."French!"

I embarked on this journey with a girl friend, who thankfully did speak a bit of French...but more than that, I watched her offer her smile and her eagerness to learn their lanuage and each time I saw the French woman, man or child beam with their own eagerness to teach her and to share their county.
I stood by her side beaming my own smile and shyly offering a "merci" "bon jour" or "bon sou" and even those few words gained me acceptance.

The countryside is beautiful! We began our stay in a small medieval town in the south of France called Durfort. It is about an hour south of Toulouse. It was....and still is a village where they make copper.
Charming house line the curving streets, with a small waterway traveling down the middle of road, which was used as part of the copper making process.

More to come soon....with lots of photos!

Merci!

2 comments:

Lea said...

Welcome to Bloglandia Marilyn!!! And thank you for bringing us images of your time in the beauty of France!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,
I love the pictures you've shown so far.
Your story sounds so close to the one I have about France. I was intimidated thinking of going to "France" this country of aloofness ~ But I found the people really nice (well there was one lady in Paris that I had a running argument every day LOL)
The food was amazing.

Seeing your pictures made me want to return!