Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Sunday outing......

A flea market, here in Hawaii, is quite a bit different from a flea market in Provence, France.
But still a lot of fun.


Beautiful pieces of coral catch my eye....
and I have a nice conversation with this Hawaiian man who was weaving his own nets....a dying art for sure.
Would you like a sink...or some dinasours...?


Look at this guy's mode of transportation!  I love the American Flag touch.
How about a painting of a pug, on velvet.....!
Here's a old picture of Hilo, on the big island, in 1929.
Do you remember puka shells??   They were all the rage in the 70's and 80's.
And this lovely lady creates beautiful necklaces using the puka ( meaning hole ) shells.
Little girl's hawaiian dresses dance in the breezes.......

And then we're off to the Waikele Tea Room for a yummy lunch.
This property was originally a sanctuary for women and children in need, in the early 1900's and was run by the Salvation Army.  Robert Louis Stevenson stayed here and wrote much of his poetry.  It is a very peaceful place with great mana.  (mana is the Hawaiian word for power )











6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Marilyn...
I don't know if this was the flea market that you Gail and I (and someone else) went to but even if it wasn't the pictures sure reminded me of that day... Those outfits we bought. (hmmm I think I have since gotten rid of mind :)

The beautiful flowers are just saying to me
"Come back Pat, Come back to Hawaii..." Lol!
Pat
Hope Gary is doing better...
And I love the new vampire that your doing... I love the worried look in her eyes and brow.
Pat

Stefania Morgante said...

oh I want to stay with you, in Hawaii! I love colors, shapes, people...and you!

Anonymous said...

These images make me homesick for Hawaii. It is amazing how Hawaii gets in you blood.
I hope Gary is doing well.
Aloha!!!

Tristan Robin said...

I wouldn't be able to choose between spending my time in that flea market - with CORAL!!! (I love coral) or with those gorgeous exotic blooms.

I haven't been to Hawaii since I was a young teenager - I really would love to go back! Such a shame that my parents no longer pay for holidays!

Lisa Gatz said...

Thank you for sharing your day. That was one of the things I had wanted to do was to visit the flea market. There's always another time!

3rdEyeMuse said...

what a wonderful Sunday outing - thanks for taking us along.

One day I'll swing a trip to HI (if all goes well, an ENTIRE month to explore) and all I will need is a (largish) backpack with my wallet, a few changes of clothes, a sketchbook, my camera, plenty of batteries (for said camera) & another bag for all the flea market finds!

a girl can dream, eh? :)