Monday, March 23, 2009

Late Afternoon at the heiau....

Puu O Mahuka Heiau is the largest and oldest heiau (place of worship) on the island of Oahu, dating back to before the missionaries came in the 1700's.
When we have our art retreat, we bring everyone here to experience this ancient place, with lava rocks and boulders still placed around the perimeter.
The temple is poised on the 250 ft cliffs above Waimea Bay, offering sweeping vistas of the scalloped north shore and Waimea Valley.
E Komo Mai







7 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

wow

that looks like liquid silver

gorgeous!

Lisa Gatz said...

Puu O Mahuka Heiau made such an impression on me and I was able to appreciate more fully the heiau on the Big Island that we were close to. I remember the sunset, the offerings, and the active spirit of that place. Thanks for sharing pics today...it's a profound memory for me.

Brenda Heisler said...

So glad I found this blog. Beautiful. I wish I could vacation there or better yet, move there!

Anonymous said...

I remember it well.

3rdEyeMuse said...

it looks like a soulful place ... are those wrapped leaves and fruits offering of some sort? ... and what's wrapped in the leaves?

Gina said...

I am enchanted with your blog! What beautiful photos and creativity!

Pearl said...

It's so beautiful, and the photography is the best. So talented.