Saturday, March 5, 2011

Enjoying new blossoms, good friends and old artwork....

Being away for a while does bring it's rewards....like the gift of reuniting with good friends.
And when I'm over at a good friend's house it also means I get to look again at little pieces of art work that I've given as gifts.

It's always a good feeling and a bit of a relief to see something that I made, years ago, and actually be charmed by it. The emotional process of creating art is...at least for me.... such a roller coaster ride.
I was sharing this online today at That Creative Place, where I teach classes.

A woman, new to sculpting, was taking my class in learning to sculpt a face and I wanted to make sure she knew that it is a process....a process where it is necessary to be kind to yourself. Everytime I create something I seem to journey along the same path...and even though I know the twists and turns of this path, I still fall into the emotion of it. I wanted to prepare her a bit for this possibility.

When I'm creating, it is like falling in love. I am so in love with what I am making that I am sure it is the best thing I've ever done.
I'm sure it is worth millions of dollars.
Then.....a couple of days after I have completed the piece, I see everything wrong with it.
I am embarrassed for anyone to see it. I am sure it should be thrown out!

Fortunately,within a month's time, my emotions level out and I can see the piece for what it is, and appreciate the good points, and learn from the places that don't work as well.

And then there comes the time when I haven't seen a piece of my artwork for months or years....
and when I see it, I am happy.
Today was one of those days. :)







4 comments:

Anna-Mari said...

I suppose every artist feels the same rollercoaster feelings with their work. At leas I do, exactly the same! Although there are some pieces I am still not happy with, but those can be forgotten... or better yet, looked as a learning experience to remember what to do differently.

Lea said...

This really made me chuckle Marilyn... XO

Connie Nobbe said...

Yes, I go through that rollercoaster too, just as you described it! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who goes through that. :)

Anthropomorphica said...

I understand perfectly, great feeling to still love a piece a long time after you've made it.